Monday, June 6, 2011

It's red and it sparkles.




I have this idea I can make money selling guitars. I probably can. Not a great deal you understand but enough to make the process worthwhile. The problem with the idea, and modest success, of the thing is my emotional ties to some of the guitars. I have never cared about "things" as anything more than "things". I have a certain residual affection for a few cars. My first, a TR-4, of course. Cool wheels. A particular copper colored 1969 American Motors Javelin. I have attachment to things my son has given me, That makes sense. But at no time did the emotion regarding these things become something that one would have for...well..your dog or your cat. That is not the best analogy but it is the one that just arrived. I have never had an ache for a thing. Never. But I am finding as I age, like a smelly cheese, that I have definite and undeniable attachments bordering on the clinical for certain guitars. Well...that's putting it too narrowly...all my guitars. This has become delightfully melancholic of late with my purchase, with full intent to sell, a solid body electric guitar made by Gretsch. I don't play electric guitars. Never have. I have a few that are ACOUSTIC electric. I even have a cheap ass Squier acoustic/electric that looks a bit like an electric is supposed to look. Hell. I have an amp!! But from the moment this guitar was mine I couldn't take my eyes off it. I couldn't put it down. I couldn't stop putting my left hand on the neck as if it wasn't a guitar but Nefertiti herself. I have changed her strings and polished her. I have cleaned the humbuckers and polished the knobs. I never want to be without it and yet I am selling it. Perhaps the things that we most value are those we can "sell" the best. Perhaps. I really don't don't know. But this is a beautiful, beautiful inanimate living thing. I guess. I have the oddest impression that gad I had this thing earlier in my life (maybe 18 when I was at an alternative college with a bunch of alternative students studying in alternative ways) the chapters after that acquisition mighty have bee different. Did I tell you it's red and it sparkles? Did I tell you about it's neck?

No comments:

Post a Comment