Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Guitar - גיטרה‎

I'm beginning to get my callouses back. That's a good sign. When I first began to humanize from the worst of the Crohn's flareup they were all but gone. The enthusiasm took longer. It just seemed as if the amount of effort needed to actually sit down and play was used up in more mundane tasks. Things like walking and eating and showering and breathing. I looked at tall of them, the guitars, and tried to remember what the point was. I excavated my psyche to determine where that joy had come from and after sifting the debris I wasn't initially able to find an artifact that gave proof of anything. Slowly it has returned. A new acquaintence (perhaps a friend eventually) came over to look at the 35+ guitars. What fascinated him in particular was a G J Gould Guitar with a solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides made in Israel. Handmade because in the 1970's (when it was made) I assume that the level of computerized or even mass production of guitars was non-existent. It is beautiful and it sounds magnificent. There is no way to calculate the value of it because there are next to none left on the planet. When it was new, according to my research, it was about $400 which, inflated out, is about $1800 to $1900 bucks. For me having a guitar this exquisite; that sounds this good and is made in Israel is a miracle. It is my reward for doing something right at sometime. 

I have started collecting and buying and selling again. I have four guitars up on Ebay and some that will go there soon. I have some that need some love and care. Lowering an action or just changing the strings to a lighter gauge. It is not work but it is work but it isn't work. It is a meditation of sorts. It is a joy.

Hi. I guess I'm healing.

(I'll post a picture (s) soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment